Master Gardener Articles
It is almost time for nature’s most abundant crop – tree leaves by Linda Hanson
Gardening with Deer-Resistant Plants by Beth Jacoby
Going Out on a Limb by Tracy Stabler
Fall Has Arrived by Janet Surges
House Plants by Edith Shafer
DEER TICKS – The Unwelcoming Arachnid by Kathy Rohrbaugh
Native Plant Websites
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is a searchable database for native plants.
- Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve this website contains lots of information about native plants. Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve is a great place to visit.
- Darke, Rick, Tallamy, Douglas, The Living Landscape, Timber Press, 2014, ISBN-13: 9781604694086
- Holm, Heather, Pollinators of Native Plants, Pollination Press, 2014, ISBN978-0-9913563-0-0
- Barnes, Thomas G., Gardening for the Birds, University Press of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 1999, ISBN 0-8131-2071-
- Taylor, Patricia A., Easy Care Native Plants, Henry Holt Co. NY 1996. ISBN 0-8050-3861-2.
Wealth Of Information and Learning Opportunities
Environmental School, Gardening School, Landscape Design School and Flower Show School are available for members only at a reasonable price through NGC.
Garden Club of York offers a maximum of four scholarships of $50.00 to defray costs of members upon completion of an NGC School course.
Need help with your gardening issues?
Contact the York County Master Gardeners Garden Hotline who will “answer questions on a variety of topics including growing vegetables, fruits, ornamentals and turfgrass, plant identification, pruning, and insect and disease problems. Advice encourages the use of integrated pest management and environmentally sound practices.”
Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to noon
Penn State Cooperative Extension
2401 Pleasant Valley Road, Suite 101, York PA 17402